As of December 1, 2015, almost $20,000 has been raised for the Student Scholarship Fund. The focus for 2016 and beyond will be to work toward funding an endowment for the scholarship ensuring continuity in future years. This will be a multi-year program that will need substantial commitment from GALA members and other supporters, but the impact will be tremendous. Having an endowed scholarship will help future generations of LGBTQ students attend Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s.
It’s important to explain why we need funding, so here is a short list of the major areas where your funds are used:
1. Support of student functions such as socials or speakers for panels. In 2015, year the student group was denied access to on campus facilities to hold their annual LGBT dance. GALA sponsored the dance at an off campus venue run by a local gay couple.
2. Sponsorship of an LGBT student for Camp Pride LGBT Leadership Week (including travel expenses)
3. Holding bi-annual Tom Dooley award ceremony and dinner to recognize outstanding individual related to LGBT causes. $1,000 donation made to recipient’s charity of choice. Also includes subsidized/free admission for students.
4. Regional events for either social or educational purposes including annual on-campus tailgater (no cost for members or students)
5. Student scholarships for qualified students. In 2015 two $2,500 scholarships were awarded. In future years, the number and amount will be based on student applications and available funding. Eventually, the goal is to build an endowment so this is not subject to annual donations.
It is not necessary to be a member to make an online gift, however if you are a member please ensure that you are logged into the online member directory before making the gift so that the donation will be automatically associated with your membership record.
Whether you are a member or not, once your donation is processed, you will receive an acknowledgement email. To make a one-time donation to GALA-ND/SMC, complete the online giving form. All online donations are secured and processed by Paypal.
GALA-ND/SMC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. If a gift is not otherwise designated then it will be considered a general donation. If your gift is for the scholarship fund please indicate in the “comments” field on the donation form.
Thank you for all your support!