GALA ND/SMC is hosting a LGBTQ Leadership Award Weekend Celebration to recognize and honor LGBTQ leaders in the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community. The celebration is taking place Friday March 29th through Sunday March 31st.
Friday March 29, 2019
Alumni/Student Networking Event – On Friday evening, GALA will sponsor an opportunity for alums visiting for the weekend to meet Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s students. The event will take place at Legends from 8:00pm to 10:00pm. This event is free and open to ND & SMC LGBTQ students, faculty/staff, alums & allies. Pre-registration is preferred but not required. Register here: Alumni/Student Networking Event.
Saturday March 30, 2019 – 1:00pm to 3:00pm – Andrews Auditorium
Academic Panel – In conjunction with the ND Department of American Studies, GALA will host a panel discussion called Solidarity & Identity.
In his book, Fr. Martin’s call for ‘Bridge Building’ between the LGBTQ community and the institutional Church echoes the Catholic Social Teaching principle of Solidarity. Readers are invited to examine the experience from each side’s perspective, and to find common ground to move forward.
Solidarity is not just a faith concept – it is also a method of political change. Past and current movements in the LGBTQ community and the church have built solidarity with other communities, such as immigrants or the labor movement, in their fight for civil rights.
Solidarity speaks to our ideas of dignity, faith, and the common good. Our panel will explore different examples of movements and reach toward an understanding of their goals, results, and philosophies.
Speakers Include: Fr. James Martin (via Skype), Professor Michael Hebbeler, and Shelly Fitzgerald.
- Location: Andrews Auditorium Geddes Hall
- Time: 1:00pm to 3:00pm
- Registration: No advance registration is required. The event is free and open to everyone
Thomas Dooley & LGBTQ Leadership Award Ceremony – The main event for the weekend is the Thomas A. Dooley and LGBTQ Leadership Award ceremony. The ceremony and dinner will take place on Notre Dame’s campus starting at 6:30pm. Honored at the event will be:
- Thomas Dooley Award – Father James Martin S.J.
- Distinguished Service Award – Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend
- Distinguished Alumni Award – John Sullivan ND Law ’83
Alumni Social – Immediately following the awards ceremony there will be an “alumni social” at one of the local pubs (exact location TBD).
To close out the weekend, all alumni/ae and guests are welcome to attend the 10:00am Sunday mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
A discounted room rate has been arranged for up to 10 rooms at the Inn at Saint Mary’s. Reservations must be made by February 28th.
- The group rate is $108/night (plus tax) available Thursday – Saturday evenings March 28th-30th
- Includes complementary WIFI, hot breakfast, business center, fitness center and complimentary shuttle service to and from the South Bend International Airport and/or within a 10 mile radius of hotel
- To obtain this rate, call the hotel directly at 574-232-4000 and use the discount code GALA or go to: GALA Reservations and use booking code: 190328GALA
- Reservations are subject to a 24 hour cancellation policy (or billed for 1 night stay & tax)