Dooley Award Ceremony – Dinner Registration Is Now Closed – Join us for other weekend events!
GALA ND/SMC is hosting a LGBT Award Weekend Celebration to recognize and honor LGBT leaders in the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community. The celebration takes place Friday April 28th through Sunday April 30th. A number of events will take place over the three days.
Friday April 28, 2017
Alumni/Student Networking Event – On Friday evening, April 28th, an alumni/student event will take place allowing everyone coming for the weekend to network with those on campus. UPDATE – The event will take place at Legends starting at 9:00pm. The first 10 students who arrive will get a GALA Tee Shirt.
Saturday April 29, 2017
Panel: Reconciling Religious Freedom with Civil Rights – A panel discussion will take place on Saturday, April 29 from Noon to 2:00pm in the Carey Auditorium in Hesburgh Library. This event is free and open to the public.
The Trump/Pence administration is promising to protect rights pertaining to religious freedom. But when do civil rights trump religious belief? And how do schools such as Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s create a supportive and balanced environment for their LGBT students and alumni while ensuring the rights of everyone in their communities?
The panel speakers will be:
- Matthew Skinner ’06, Executive Director of LeGaL, the LGBT Bar Association of New York – Moderator
- Mary Celeste Kearney, Associate Professor of Film, Television, and Theater & Director of Gender Studies Program, Notre Dame
- Anthony Michael Kreis, Visiting Professor, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Catherine Pittman, Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology, Saint Mary’s College
- Bryan Ricketts ND ’16, ’17, ND Student Body President 2015/2016
Thomas Dooley Award Ceremony – The main event for the weekend is the Thomas A. Dooley Award ceremony on Saturday April 29th at 6:30pm. The Thomas A. Dooley Award honors individuals who, through their faith-based background, have demonstrated personal courage, compassion and commitment to advance the human and civil rights of lesbian and gay Americans.
While at the NCAA, she led the national office LGBTQ-A employee resource group launch in 2014 and under her leadership the group had significant impact on the development of LGBTQ inclusive workplace policies. Kristen has also facilitated numerous LGBTQ inclusion trainings for NCAA staff, student-athletes and administrators. Kristen is an active Saint Mary’s College alumna and currently services on the College’s Alumnae Association Board of Directors. Additionally, Kristen has been able to support the College’s LGBTQ inclusion efforts through her work at the NCAA. For a full description of Kristen’s accomplishments, go to: 2017 Thomas Dooley Award Recipient.
Also being recognized is Professor Joseph Pequigney ND ’44 with the GALA ND/SMC Award for Distinguished Academic Achievement. Joe is being recognized for groundbreaking scholarship exploring same-sex love themes in Shakespeare, in particular for his influential interpretation of the Sonnets, Such is My Love, and in Dante’s Divine Comedy. For more on this award, go to: LGBT Leadership Award Honorees.
The award presentation dinner will be held Saturday evening April 29th starting at 6:30pm at the Eck Visitor Center on Notre Dame’s campus (next to the ND Bookstore). There will be a premium beer & wine open-bar reception from 6:30pm to 7:30pm followed by dinner and the award ceremony. Registration is now closed. Special discounted tickets are available for students and recent alums.
Post Event Party – O’Rourke’s Public House – 10:00pm to ??
For everyone still in the party mood, we have arranged for reserved space at O’Rourke’s Public House at Eddy St Commons starting at 10:00pm, only a 5 minute walk from the Eck Center. Continue the celebration with $3 Captain Morgan and $2 PBR’s drink specials. Invite your friends!
Sunday April 30, 2017
To close out the weekend, everyone is invited to a short prayer service at the Grotto at 9:45am and then to attend the normally scheduled 10:00am mass at the Basilica of The Sacred Heart.
Hotel Reservations– A block of rooms is available Friday April 28th & Saturday April 29th at a discounted room rate. This block is available through Wednesday March 29th.
- Location: The Inn at Saint Mary’s, adjacent to Saint Mary’s campus
- Cost: $119/night (single or double occupancy, taxes not included)
- Room: King room – complimentary breakfast included
- Reservations: To make reservations call (574) 323-2184 and request the group rate for “2017 Dooley Award Weekend” or use the online reservation website: GALA Group Hotel Reservations
- Cancellations: Any individual room cancellations within 24 hours from the date of arrival will be billed for one (1) night’s room and tax to your individual credit card
- Pre-Arrivals/Stay Overs: The discounted rate is available for 3 days prior and after (subject to availability)
Prior Year Dooley Award Weekend Pictures: