Dooley Award Ceremony Registration Now Open – Register Here
GALA ND/SMC is hosting a LGBT Award Weekend Celebration to recognize and honor LGBT leaders in the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community. The celebration takes place Friday April 28th through Sunday April 30th. A number of events will take place over the three days.
Friday April 28, 2017
Alumni/Student Networking Event – On Friday evening, April 28th, an alumni/student event will take place allowing everyone coming for the weekend to network with those on campus. We are targeting the Morris Inn for this event. Final details will be available closer to the weekend.
Saturday April 29, 2017
Panel Discussion – A panel discussion will take place Saturday April 29th from noon to 2:00pm in the Carey Auditorium in Hesburgh Library. Members of the Notre Dame & Saint Mary’s community as well as the general public are welcome to attend. This event is free to and no registration is required.
The theme will be Reconciling Religious Freedom with Civil Rights covering the following discussion: The Trump/Pence administration is promising to protect rights pertaining to religious freedom. But when do civil rights trump religious belief? And how do schools such as Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s create a supportive and balanced environment for their LGBT students and alumni while ensuring the rights of everyone in their communities?
The panel speakers will be:
- Moderator Matthew Skinner ’06, Executive Director of LeGaL, the LGBT Bar Association of New York
- Professor Mary Celeste Kearney, Associate Professor of Film, Television, and Theater and Director of Gender Studies Program, Notre Dame
- Professor Anthony Michael Kreis, Visiting Professor, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Professor Catherine Pittman, Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology, Saint Mary’s College
- Bryan Ricketts ND ’16, ’17, ND Student Body President 2015/2016
Thomas Dooley Award Ceremony – The main event for the weekend is the Thomas A. Dooley Award ceremony on Saturday April 29th at 6:30pm. The Thomas A. Dooley Award honors individuals who, through their faith-based background, have demonstrated personal courage, compassion and commitment to advance the human and civil rights of lesbian and gay Americans.
While at the NCAA, she led the national office LGBTQ-A employee resource group launch in 2014 and under her leadership the group had significant impact on the development of LGBTQ inclusive workplace policies. Kristen has also facilitated numerous LGBTQ inclusion trainings for NCAA staff, student-athletes and administrators. Kristen is an active Saint Mary’s College alumna and currently services on the College’s Alumnae Association Board of Directors. Additionally, Kristen has been able to support the College’s LGBTQ inclusion efforts through her work at the NCAA. For a full description of Kristen’s accomplishments, go to: 2017 Thomas Dooley Award Recipient.
Also being recognized is Professor Joseph Pequigney ND ’44 with the GALA ND/SMC Award for Distinguished Academic Achievement. Joe is being recognized for groundbreaking scholarship exploring same-sex love themes in Shakespeare, in particular for his influential interpretation of the Sonnets, Such is My Love, and in Dante’s Divine Comedy. For more on this award, go to: LGBT Leadership Award Honorees.
The award presentation dinner will be held Saturday evening April 29th starting at 6:30pm at the Eck Visitor Center on Notre Dame’s campus (next to the ND Bookstore). There will be a premium beer & wine open-bar reception from 6:30pm to 7:30pm followed by dinner and the award ceremony. Registration is now open. Special discounted tickets are available for students and recent alums.
Post Event Party – For everyone still in the party mood, our weekend social director will be leading us to a local bar/pub to continue with the celebration. Stay tuned for more details…….
Sunday April 30, 2017
To close out the weekend, everyone is invited to a short prayer service at the Grotto at 9:45am and then to attend the normally scheduled 10:00am mass at the Basilica of The Sacred Heart.
Hotel Reservations– A block of rooms is available Friday April 28th & Saturday April 29th at a discounted room rate. This block is available through Wednesday March 29th.
- Location: The Inn at Saint Mary’s, adjacent to Saint Mary’s campus
- Cost: $119/night (single or double occupancy, taxes not included)
- Room: King room – complimentary breakfast included
- Reservations: To make reservations call (574) 323-2184 and request the group rate for “2017 Dooley Award Weekend” or use the online reservation website: GALA Group Hotel Reservations
- Cancellations: Any individual room cancellations within 24 hours from the date of arrival will be billed for one (1) night’s room and tax to your individual credit card
- Pre-Arrivals/Stay Overs: The discounted rate is available for 3 days prior and after (subject to availability)
Prior Year Dooley Award Weekend Pictures: