GALA ND/SMC made a change to our constitution about 4 years ago adding a “Board of Trustees” to the group’s governance model. At that time, the original board started with 6 members including alumni, faculty and students from both schools. Since then, there has been the usual turnover any volunteer board experiences. The officers are now looking for input from you, our members, on recommendations for additions to the board from both Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s. See below for the time commitment and key responsibilities. If you know of anyone who you think would do a great job and can fulfill the time commitment, please nominate them using this document: Board of Trustee Nomination Form 2016. You can even nominate yourself!! If you have questions, reach out to Jack Bergen Chair at email@example.com.
Board members serve a minimum of 3 years and are expected to become and stay “dues-paying” members. They are asked to attend a minimum of 4 quarterly calls per year and support the organization by attending 1-2 major on-site events either on campus or at a regional fundraising event (at their own expense). In addition, their real value is getting involved in issues or activities that they feel passionate about outside of the quarterly calls. Here are the key board responsibilities. For a full set see GALA ND/SMC Constitution:
- The board acts as in advisory role for strategy
- Stewarding the organization’s financial well-being
- Leading fundraising and grant solicitation efforts. (Trustees are encouraged to make donations at a level which is meaningful for them)
- Advises the officers on long- and short-term strategic goals, monitors progress towards these goals, reviews and approves changes to the annual operating budget of GALA-ND/SMC
- Determines the recipients of the Tom Dooley Award, scholarships and any other recognitions that GALA-ND/SMC may establish.