On April 8 -10, 2022, GALA ND/SMC and ARC ND hosted a weekend celebration on ND’s campus honoring the legacy of LGBTQ+ alums and the transition to a new chapter: “ND LGBTQ+ Alumni – Past, Present & Future – A Celebration of Our Community’s Journey”.
The weekend included a welcome reception, alumni panel and the weekend signature event: Thomas Dooley & LGBTQ+ Leadership Award Ceremony. Alums came from around the country to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. Honored at the award ceremony were Marlo Thomas, Fr Joe Corpora ’76 C.S.C., Meghan Buell & Greg Bourke ’82.
For more information, and many images of the weekend, go to: 2022 LGBTQ+ Leadership Award Weekend.
The LGBTQ+ Student Scholarship originally established under GALA, and funded by our members, has been migrated to the University to take advantage of their professional investment resources. The beneficiaries of this scholarship will continue to be qualifying LGBTQ+ students at Notre Dame.
If you would like to contribute to the scholarship, please make a donation here. This link goes to the ND development website enabling you to make a direct to the scholarship (scroll down to enter in the donation amount).
Note: Donations made to this university managed fund will be eligible for football ticket lottery purposes.
GALA ND/SMC & ARC ND are proud to announce the 2022 LGBTQ Leadership Award recipients.
- Thomas A. Dooley Award – Marlo Thomas
- Distinguished Alumni Award – Greg Bourke ‘82
- Larry Condren Distinguished Service Award – Meghan Buell
- Outstanding Faculty/Staff Award in Support of the ND LGBTQ+ Campus Community – Rev. Joe Corpora ’76, C.S.C.
The awards event will be part of an overall weekend of activities Friday April 8th – Sunday April 10th. For more information on each award recipient, go to: 2022 LGBTQ Awards.
As GALA prepares to transition to a university approved alumni affinity group, ARC ND (Alumni Rainbow Community), one of the key aspects of the transition is the disposition of the member-funded LGBTQ scholarship. One of our group’s proudest accomplishments has been the consistent financial assistance that we have been able to offer students with the Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas LGBTQ Student Scholarship. With your help, we have raised an amazing sum of $250,000!
In the next month, we intend to transition a significant portion of these funds to an endowment run by the university.
What will change?
- Fund management: Currently, the GALA leadership team manages the fund. In the future, it will be managed by the university in the same manner as other university endowments.
- Fund growth: The GALA leadership team has taken a zero risk investment strategy with the scholarship funds. In the future, the scholarship fund will be invested to grow in the same manner as the university endowment. Over time, we expect the size of the scholarships as well as the number of scholarships to expand.
What will stay the same?
- Recipients: Past winners have been ND and SMC undergraduates who are active in the LGBT+ community. Future winners will be ND undergraduates who are active in the LGBT+ community.
- Who determines the recipients: Past winners have been chosen by GALA leaders. Future winners will be chosen by ARC ND leaders.
Comments, Questions, Concerns, Suggestions
If you would like to speak with a GALA leader about this significant step, please contact Paul at email@example.com, and he will connect you with a GALA leader. We will like all feedback by December 8th.
It has taken 25+ years to build GALA, and we are being diligent in our approach to unwind. In the new year, expect to see an update on membership votes that are needed to sunset the organization.
The GALA leadership team is so proud of what we have accomplished together. Throughout this process, we have prioritized transparency and inclusivity. As we have had updates, we have been providing them. If you have any questions or suggestions, please reach out at any time.
$250,000 Five-Year Goal Achieved in 2020!
In 2015, GALA ND/SMC established a scholarship to support LGBTQ students attending Notre Dame & Saint Mary’s, now known as the The Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas LGBTQ Student Scholarship. To date, 12 students have received assistance from this scholarship fund.
A goal was set to raise $250,000 by the end of 2020. Congratulations!!! Thanks to everyone who participated in our scholarship benefit events and donated to this important cause, we have achieved this major milestone!
For more information on the scholarship, including the students who have benefited from the annual awards, go to LGBTQ Scholarship.
Check out the December 2020 End-of-Year Newsletter with the following highlights:
- 2020 By The Numbers
- NDAA Update
- Member Spotlight
- LGBTQ Scholarship Update
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Board Member Spotlight
- 2021 Look Ahead
To see the full newsletter, go to: 2020 Newsletters.
The 2020 GALA ND/SMC Officer elections are now completed. Thanks to everyone who voted and congratulations to the new officer team! All of the new officers bring unique skills and enthusiasm to engage our LGBTQ Alumni & Friends community.
- Chair – Paul Burke ’98
- Vice Chair – Programs – John Flanagan ND ’93
- Vice Chair- Membership – John McDonald-O’Lear ND ’78
- Treasurer – Grant Van Eaton ND ’08
- Secretary – Mike Gorman ND ’81
To see each of their bios, go to 2020-2022 Officers. The new officers will assume responsibility effective immediately as they transition from the prior officer team.
It is election time for GALA-ND/SMC Officers for 2020-2022. Each position is up for re-election. All dues-paying member are eligible to vote. Shown below are the positions and individuals seeking each position. For information on each candidate, see 2020 Officer Election Bios.
- Chair – Paul Burke ND ’98
- Vice Chair- Membership – John McDonald-O’Lear ND ’78
- Vice Chair – Programs – John Flanagan ND ’93
- Treasurer – Grant Van Eaton ND ’08
- Secretary – Mike Gorman ND ’81
Voting: To vote, go to: GALA ND/SMC 2020 Officer Elections. Please select one candidate for each position. Voting will be open until March 1st.
Every two years GALA ND/SMC conducts elections for all officer positions. In 2020, elections will be taking place in the February/March timeframe. Prior to that, we are looking for nominations for individuals to fill these roles by February 16th. This is a great opportunity to take a leadership role in driving engagement for the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s LGBTQ Alumni & Friends community.
The positions available are as follows:
- Vice-Chair Program
- Vice-Chair Membership
Formal position descriptions can be found at Mission and Vision by selecting the constitution link. Regardless of the specific roles, all officers are encouraged to get involved in whatever way they feel they can make a difference. The successfully elected individuals are asked to make a two-year commitment, participate on monthly officer calls and fulfill the responsibilities of the position (including attending major events).
Being part of the leadership team includes the following:
- Playing a key role in helping to strengthen GALA’s relationships with many key partner organizations both on campus and around the country such as NDAA (ND Alumni Organization), PrismND & SAGA (LGBTQ Student Groups), Spectrum (LGBTQ Employee Resource Group), LGBTQ Law Forum and others.
- Working in close collaboration with GALA’s board to establish goals, budgets and methods to achieve our group’s vision and mission.
- Planning and executing member engagement activities, inclusive of all members, on campus and through local GALA chapters and local ND alumni clubs including the bi-annual Dooley Award Weekend, annual tailgaters & reunions, and other regional club events.
- Managing the membership database and performing membership outreach to identify opportunities to be inclusive and expand the group’s members & friends community
- Managing and leveraging various communication channels for member outreach, including GALA’s website, email, newsletters, social media, etc.
- Participating in fundraising activities supporting both general/on-going engagement activities and for the LGBTQ Scholarship.
If you are interested in nominating a fellow alum or to self-nominate, please go to: GALA Officer Nomination Form and complete by February 16th. For current officer profiles, go to Officers.
GALA ND/SMC is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2019/2020 LGBTQ Student Scholarships. This year’s recipients are César Moreno ND ’20 and Genesis Vasquez SMC ’20. Congratulations to both winners!
César is a senior at Notre Dame majoring in Chemical Engineering, Neuroscience and Behavior, Pre-Med with a minor in Biomolecular Engineering. They are a member of the Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Program.
Genesis is a senior at Saint Mary’s College majoring in Global Studies and Gender and Women’s Studies and a minor in Spanish. She will be the first person in her family to graduate from college.
For more information about each, including their contributions to the LGBTQ community, go to Scholarship Recipients.
To donate to the scholarship fund, go to: LGBTQ Scholarship.
As part of the 2019 ND Alumni reunion, Dolly Duffy, NDAA Executive Director, welcomed LGBTQ alums back to campus with an inclusive message on Twitter:
To our LGBTQ alumni as we celebrate Reunion: Your journey and witness enrich the experience of every one of us at Notre Dame. Please know that wherever life takes you, you always have a home here at Notre Dame.
To see the full tweet and the associated video, go here.
GALA exists to promote the inclusion of LGBTQIA+ people within the ND and SMC communities, and true to that principle, we are pleased to announce the kick-off of an internal inclusion initiative for GALA! We’ve had many discussions about our priorities for being more inclusive in the last few months and below, we’d like to share some of the initiatives we’ll be tackling this year. We’re excited to make this organization even better in 2019! If you have any questions, concerns, ideas to share, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
For the next year, our strategy will be divided into three efforts:
- Standardizing Inclusive Practices (Including a name change to Pride Alumni)
- Conducting Member Outreach
- Connecting with Current Students
To get your feedback, we will host two virtual town halls to connect live and answer questions and comments. Please see here for more information on how to connect for members during these two sessions.
- June 11, 2019 at 8pm ET
- June 23, 2019 at 2pm ET
There is also comment page (available here for members) for you to provide written comments anytime before June 30 at 11:59 pm ET.
For complete information on these important changes, go to: GALA-ND/SMC Pride Month (June 2019) Newsletter & Announcement.
In conjunction with the ND Department of American Studies, GALA will host a panel discussion called Solidarity & Identity during the 2019 LGBT Leadership Award Weekend.
In his book, Fr. Martin’s call for ‘Bridge Building’ between the LGBTQ community and the institutional Church echoes the Catholic Social Teaching principle of Solidarity. Readers are invited to examine the experience from each side’s perspective, and to find common ground to move forward.
Solidarity is not just a faith concept – it is also a method of political change. Past and current movements in the LGBTQ community and the church have built solidarity with other communities, such as immigrants or the labor movement, in their fight for civil rights.
Solidarity speaks to our ideas of dignity, faith, and the common good. Our panel will explore different examples of movements and reach toward an understanding of their goals, results, and philosophies.
Speakers Include: Fr. James Martin (via Skype), Professor Michael Hebbeler, and Shelly Fitzgerald.
- Location: Andrews Auditorium Geddes Hall
- Time: 1:00pm to 3:00pm
- Registration: No advance registration is required. The event is free and open to everyone
Award Dinner Registration Now Closed
GALA ND/SMC is pleased to announce the 2019 Thomas Dooley and LGBTQ Leadership Award recipients. This year’s award recipients are:
- Thomas A. Dooley Award – Father James Martin S.J.
- Distinguished Service Award – Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend
- Distinguished Alumni Award – John Sullivan ND Law ’83
The individuals will be recognized at a dinner and ceremony on the Notre Dame campus on Saturday March 30th starting at 6:30pm. Registration is now closed. Go to: 2019 LGBTQ Awards Dinner.
The award ceremony is just part of the overall LGBTQ Leadership Award Weekend Celebration taking place Friday March 29th through Sunday March 31st.
In addition to the Awards Dinner and Ceremony, other activities taking place over the weekend include:
- Alumni/Student Networking Event – Friday March 29 – 8:00pm
- Academic Panel – Saturday March 30 – 1:00pm
- Alumni Social – Saturday March 30 – 10:30pm
- Mass – Sunday March 31 – 10:00am
Every two years GALA ND/SMC recognizes individuals who have made contributions to the LGBTQ community. Planning is now underway to announce the 2019 Thomas Dooley Award and LGBT Leadership Award recipients during a weekend in South Bend in Spring ’19.
The weekend will include the awards ceremony and an academic panel related to the award recipient’s work. Stay tuned for the “Save-The-Date” announcement!
Every two years, GALA ND/SMC honors one of the university’s most deserving alums Tom Dooley through an award in his name. The Thomas A. Dooley Award honors individuals who, through their faith-based background, have demonstrated personal courage, compassion and commitment to advance the human and civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans.
We are currently seeking nominations from our members for the 2019 Award, which will be announced at a dinner and award ceremony in April 2019. If you know of someone who you believe meets the criteria, complete this nomination form: 2019 Dooley Nomination. Please submit all nominations by Sunday November 11, 2018.
If you have questions, or to submit the nomination, reach out to Jack Bergen GALA ND/SMC Board Member at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GALA ND/SMC is happy to sponsor our Fourth Annual New York City Alumni Fall Weekend from November 16 to November 18, 2018. There are a number of planned events for GALA members and friends to enjoy over the weekend. Registration for all events is now open!
For complete weekend information and to register for the events, go to: 2018 NYC Alumni Weekend.
- Welcome Dinner – Friday November 16th, 7:00PM – Aria Wine Bar (369 West 51st Street Between 8th & 9th)
- Pre-Game Tailgater – Saturday November 17th, – Harlem – 11:00AM
- Game Watch – Saturday November 17th, – Boxers (Chelsea) – Kickoff 2:30pm
- Celebration of Mass – Sunday November 18th, – 11:30AM – St Francis Xavier (W 16th St)
- LGBT Student Scholarship Benefit – Sunday November 18th, 4:00PM
- After Party – Sunday November 18th, – 6:30pm to 9:00pm – Boxers Upper East Side
GALA ND/SMC, is pleased to announce the Fourth Annual NYC LGBT Student Scholarship Benefit to take place on Sunday November 18, 2018 at 4:00pm. The benefit will be hosted once again by Phil Donahue ’57 and his wife Marlo Thomas’ at their beautiful apartment overlooking Central Park.
Join fellow alumni and friends for cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, and camaraderie to raise money for the LGBT Student Scholarship Fund. Since the fund’s inception, members & friends have contributed over $115,000 of the $250,000 target. Our goal for this year’s event is $50,000. The featured guest will be 2018/2019 Scholarship Recipient Tim Jacklich ND ’20.
The weekend coincides with the Shamrock Series game being played at Yankee Stadium on Saturday November 17th. Come to NYC for the weekend and join us in raising money for the scholarship fund!
Registration will be open later in the summer, but make your plans now to attend. If you are unable to attend in person, you can still participate by making a donation to the scholarship fund here: GALA ND/SMC Giving
For more info go to 2018 Scholarship Benefit.
As a Notre Dame community, we have an obligation to ensure that the principles of diversity and inclusion for people of all colors, genders, faiths, sexual orientations, social or economic class, and nationality are welcome and supported. Join diverse members from a variety of ND alumni communities (Black, Hispanic, LGBT, Asian Pacific and Native American) as we discuss this critically important and relevant topic. Panel sponsored by GALA ND/SMC, the Gay and Lesbian Alumni/ae of the University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College. MODERATOR: Bryan Ricketts ’16, ’17, GALA ND/SMC Vice-Chair Membership
The event will be held on Saturday June 2nd at 9:00am in DeBartolo, room # 126. All alumni & friends are welcome! To see the event info on the ND Alumni Reunion Seminar Website, go here.
GALA ND/SMC is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2018/2019 LGBT Student Scholarships. This year’s recipients are Anne Jarrett ND ’20 and Tim Jacklich ND ’20. Congratulations to both winners!
For more information on each recipient, go to LGBT Student Scholarship and to the front-page article in the Observer Wednesday April 25, 2018.